Breakfast Dinner Featured Recipes

Avocado Bacon and Egg Hash Brown Waffle Sandwich

January 20, 2016
HASHBROWN-1
In a breakfast rut? Try this healthy Hash brown Waffle Egg Sandwich with Avocado! It's
                                         paleo-friendly, gluten-free and grain-free!

The Recipe Redux Challenge this month was " New Ingredient for a New Year." It may come as a
shock to many of you, but I don't think I have ever made a breakfast sandwich for myself, so to me,
making a breakfast sandwich with a hash brown waffle is totally new to me.

To be honest, I'm not really a sandwich person. If I had the choice of eating a waffle or an egg sandwich for breakfast, the waffle would win by a landslide. Now I'm not really sure why, but bread does nothing for me. It's bland and doesn't excite my taste buds. With that being said, I really do like the insides of a breakfast sandwich; the drippy egg, the crispy bacon and the classic add-ons like
tomatoes and of course, avocado. In a breakfast rut? Try this healthy Hashbrown Waffle Egg Sandwich with Avocado! Its paleo-friendly, gluten-free and grain-free!

So this bread dilemma got me thinking.  I’m a huge fan of anything to do with potatoes and I make them quite often for breakfast.  I’ve been seeing these hash brown waffles all over pinterest, and decided to give them a try.  I adapted the recipe from this one, and was incredibly pleased how they turned out.  But my excitement didn’t stop right there.

I preceded to improve my original idea with creating the ultimate bread-less breakfast sandwich.  Like seriously, the bread is no match to these crispy hash brown waffles.  You can say BYEE FELICIA to your sandwich bread and make these waffles instead.  There is no need for bread ever again on a breakfast sandwich!  You might as well just use the hashtag #changingtheworldonehashbrownwaffleatatime

Hash Brown Waffle Breakfast Sandwich with Avocado

• WAFFLES
  • 1 medium potato, shredded and peeled (about 1 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped rosemary
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 Tbsp. mashed avocado
  • salt and pepper
  • ADD ONS
  • 3 eggs, fried in coconut oil|
  • 3 slices bacon fried in coconut oil
  • sliced tomatoes
  • sliced avocado

1. Combine all ingredients for waffles in a bowl. Spray waffle iron with cooking spray and heat. Once heated,evenly spread potato mixture around the waffle maker. Close and cook until the potatoes are crispy and brown, about 7-10 minutes. Repeat with remaining mixture.
  2. Let waffles cool. If waffles are square, slice in half. If waffles are larger and round (this is the kind of waffle make I have) slice in quarters.
  3. For square waffles, top one half with fried egg, bacon, tomato and avocado slices. For round waffles, top a quarter with toppings and place other quarter on top to make a sandwich. Repeat for remaining waffles.
  4. Enjoy!
  5. *I made 3 sandwiches by using 1 1/2 waffles made in my round waffle maker (6 quarters)

You may also like these recipes:

Tofu “Egg” Muffins

photo-257

Paleo Mexican Breakfast Hash

MEXICANHASH3

Pin for Later!

In a breakfast rut? Try this healthy Hash brown Waffle Egg Sandwich with Avocado! Its paleo-friendly, gluten-free and grain-free!

•  Have you ever made a waffle hash brown?
  • What’s your favorite add-ins for a breakfast sandwich?

Linking up with Laura!

• Reply Stephanie Leduc January 20, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Ohhh man, this is something else. Love that this is bread free but doesnt seem like it at all! I need this in my life!

• Reply Bethany And Rachel January 21, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Thank you! I’d take the waffle hash brown over bread any day!

• Reply Christina January 21, 2016 at 6:58 am

WOAH NOWWW It’s too early for me to be trying to eat my computer screen, you guys. This is nothing short of epic.
    Christina recently posted…Cuban Quesadillas with Slow-Cooked PorkMy Profile

• Reply lindsayc January 21, 2016 at 8:54 am

cannot wait to try this! you know i love me some bacon! and breakfast

• Reply Sarah @ BucketListTummy January 21, 2016 at 8:59 am

Brilliant – this looks so yummy!
    Sarah @ BucketListTummy recently posted…Little Life Things I’m LovingMy Profile

• Reply Jodi @ The Average RD January 21, 2016 at 11:28 am

So now I need to purchase a waffle iron so I can make this amazing breakfast sandwich 🙂 My kids would love this!

• Reply Bethany And Rachel January 21, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Yes you need a waffle iron! Thank you, I bet they would 🙂

• Reply Margaret @ Simple Fit Foodie January 21, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Wait what! This is like every good thing in one sandwich!! I also love you added rosemary… everything is better with rosemary 🙂 I’ll take this sandwich right now please!!
    Margaret @ Simple Fit Foodie recently posted…Asian Veggie Noodle Bowl with Spicy Almond SauceMy Profile

• Reply Sam @ PancakeWarriors January 21, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Sigh I keep telling Dave that I want to get a waffle iron… I think this sums it up on why I want a waffle iron!! I have a feeling this will be my new go to breakfast idea once I get a waffle iron, it’s genius!!
    Sam @ PancakeWarriors recently posted…The Best Bowl Ever of Carrot Cake OatmealMy Profile

• Reply Emily @ Sinful Nutrition January 21, 2016 at 2:50 pm

It’s recipes like this that make me wish I had a waffle iron! Very creative! 🙂
    Emily @ Sinful Nutrition recently posted…Blood Orange Chai Tea LatteMy Profile

• Reply Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen January 21, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Hello YUM. This looks incredible and I seriously need to bust out my waffle iron now. Such a creative and great recipe idea!
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Thai Tempeh Buddha Bowl [vegan, high-protein]My Profile

• Reply Anne January 22, 2016 at 3:14 am

This looks so good! As soon as I get a waffle iron, I’m making this first!

• Reply Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 22, 2016 at 1:32 pm

I would kill for this right about now. We’re 3 days from being gone for 2 weeks and there’s basically no food left. Do I go to the store or no?
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Quick and Easy Spiralized Carrot Salad [Recipe]My Profile

• Reply Joyce January 22, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Dang it. I need a waffle maker. This is kinda genius.

• Reply Jess @hellotofit January 23, 2016 at 10:41 am

Ahh this looks amazing! I’ve never made a waffle sandwich…always forgetting that we have a waffle maker, hehe.

• Reply Chrissa - Physcial Kitchness January 23, 2016 at 11:41 pm

SHUT YOUR FACE I am totally making this. OMG it looks right up my ally!!!! Plus gives me an excuse to use the waffle maker I never take out of the cabinet!
    Chrissa – Physcial Kitchness recently posted…Legs of a Track Star WorkoutMy Profile

• Reply Favorite Links of the Week 1/24 » Clean and Healthy Eating Recipes by Two College Athletes January 24, 2016 at 7:41 am

[…] Hash Brown Waffle Egg Sandwich with Avocado […]

• Reply Annmarie January 25, 2016 at 8:27 am

I want this waffle sandwich for breakfast- looks amazing!
    Annmarie recently posted…Healthy Chocolate Strawberry Granola {Oil Free, Low Sugar}My Profile

• Reply Caitlin January 26, 2016 at 9:43 am

What a good idea to use mashed potato to hold the waffle together! I’ll have to try it… very soon!!
    Caitlin recently posted…Grain-Free Apple Pancake RingsMy Profile

• Reply Cora January 26, 2016 at 11:37 pm

Ohhh myyyy gooooooosh. I honestly can’t contain my amazement and excitement over this. These are all my favorite things together in one beautiful masterpiece. I’m salivating. Now here’s hoping my old finicky waffle maker doesn’t make a catastrophe of this one as it often does. I need to try this. Thank you!
    Cora recently posted…Spinach, Artichoke, Cheese, Oh my! Easy Slow Cooker RecipeMy Profile

• Reply Liv @ Healthy Liv January 27, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Woah this is a ridiculously creative and delicious-looking combo! Who says you can’t make paleo breakfast wafflewiches? 🙂
    Liv @ Healthy Liv recently posted…Single-Serving College Girl Pasta BowlMy Profile

• Reply Link Love: January 31st, 2015 - Lord Still Loves Me January 31, 2016 at 12:16 pm

[…] Avocado Bacon Hash and Waffle Sandwich — Athletic Avocado […]

• Reply Tiffany February 2, 2016 at 5:37 pm

This looks delicious!

• Reply jennifer February 3, 2016 at 8:34 pm

As a huge egg sandwich lover, i loved this recipe. I added sauteed onion and green pepper to my potato mixture. i also topped my sandwich with a wedge of laughing vow cheese and mustard. yummo

• Reply Bethany And Rachel February 4, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Thank you! That’s great to hear, I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I need to try adding laughing cow cheese and mustard too, that sounds awesome 🙂

• Reply jennifer February 3, 2016 at 8:35 pm

*cow (not vow)

• Reply Whole 30 Recipe Round-Up - Bakes By Ranchcookie February 19, 2016 at 5:41 am

[…] Athletic Avocado: Avocado, Bacon and Egg Hash Brown Waffle Sandwich […]

• Reply Week In Review: The Danger of Extra Time? - mylittletablespoon March 6, 2016 at 11:55 pm

[…] this hash brown waffle with avocado from athleticavocado was just plain […]

• Reply 14 Waffle Recipes For Your Next Brunch - fairyburger March 25, 2016 at 12:42 am

[…] Hash Brown Waffle Egg Sandwich with Avocado via Athletic Avocado […]