Breakfast Featured Recipes Snacks

Toasted Coconut Pecan Streusel Muffins

August 23, 2015
COCO5-4

Its hard to believe that these Toasted Coconut Pecan Streusel Muffins are gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free and super healthy for you!

COCO4-2

You know those restaurants that you only go to because of one item on the menu?  Like when you go to Olive Garden just for the breadsticks because the rest of their food isn’t actually real food ( its frozen people!).  My parents and I always go to this one restaurant at the beach not because the food is good, because its actually terrible.  Their vegetable of the day is always a medley thats partially frozen every time I go (so much for changing it up).

COCO7-2

The only reason I go is for the muffins.  They have a bread girl who walks around with a big basket of muffins and sweet breads who hands out whatever you ask.  They have these toasted coconut muffins that are to-die-for!  So moist and fluffy, I’d gladly eat 15 of them in one sitting.  My dad actually always makes sure “bread girl” comes around more than once so he can eat all the muffins he pleases.  He even calls her “bread girl” instead of by the name on her name tag, its actually embarrassing.  I feel sorry for “bread girl” because my dad is a pain in the you-know-what.

COCO3-3

Getting back to the muffins,  I have always wanted to recreate these heaven-sent pastries and I finally got around to doing so!  But knowing that the coconut muffins at this particular restaurant were full of sugar, oil and butta, I wanted to create a healthy but still fantastic version! The Almond Breeze Almondmilk Coconutmilk Vanilla Unsweetened gives it an even better coconutty flavor!I added toasted pecans for extra crunch and a streusel topping because I can!  These muffins are gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan-friendly!  Woohoo!

COCO6-2

Toasted Coconut and Pecan Streusel Muffins

• 1 cup shredded or flaked unsweetened coconut
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour ( I like This One
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cup Almond Breeze Almond Milk Coconut Milk Vanilla
  • 1 egg, beaten (can sub flax egg for vegan option)
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
  • 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp. coconut sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place coconut and pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until slightly toasted. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping.
  3. While coconut and pecans are in the oven, combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon in a large bowl.
  4. In a separate bowl, combine milk, egg, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and stir together well.
  5. Mix in toasted coconut and pecans (not including reserved 1/2 cup) and combine well.
  6. Line muffin tins with muffin liners and spoon on batter about 2/3 full (will make about 12 muffins).
  7. In a small bowl combine remaining coconut and pecans, coconut oil and coconut sugar. Spoon on top of each muffin.
  8. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
  9. Enjoy!

COCO2-2

“This post is sponsored by Almond Breeze Almondmilk.”

• Reply sarah grace August 24, 2015 at 1:26 pm

anything toasted coconut and IM IN. But seriously, reminds me on this DELICIOUS Kilwins toasted coconut ice cream I splurge on every once in a while..so delicious!

xo,
    Sarah Grace
    sarah grace recently posted…Leg Day Workout + What I Ate in a DayMy Profile

• Reply Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together August 24, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Mmmm I haven’t had a coconut muffin in so long. Pinning these to make soon!!
    Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together recently posted…Copycat Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter [Gluten Free, Vegan]My Profile

• Reply Sam @ Pancakewarriors August 24, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Ok so these muffins sounds fantastic. I love that there is a muffin girl. I need a restaurant like that in my life. And the Olive Garden. I just died. That place is is bleh I can’t even entertain the idea if going there. True story my ex was obsessed and I would refuse to eat anything it was just so terrible. lol that clearly didn’t last long!!
    Sam @ Pancakewarriors recently posted…Mediterranean Vegan DipMy Profile

• Reply Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine August 24, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Loving the pecans!!! Fab muffins!
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Raw Spiralized Thai SaladMy Profile

• Reply Dani @ Dani California Cooks August 24, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Love love love the idea of a pecan streusel. And you can never go wrong with more coconut!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Raw Apricot Crumble Cookies (gluten free)My Profile

• Reply Rachel @ Delicious Balance August 24, 2015 at 10:21 pm

I definitely have restaurants that I go to only because of one item on the menu. I love that you recreated your favorite! These look so amazing. You had me at pecan and coconut! 🙂

• Reply Jeanette | Jeanette's Healthy Living August 25, 2015 at 12:03 am

Love the tropical feel of these mini muffins – I’m a huge coconut fan 🙂

• Reply Lisa @ RunWiki August 25, 2015 at 1:19 am

They look delish! I love muffins and right now we’re eat a butt load of them for back to school breakfast and lunches. Pinned!
    Lisa @ RunWiki recently posted…Homemade Mango Lime Salad DressingMy Profile

• Reply Lauren @ ihadabiglunch August 25, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Wait what a cool idea at restaurants! More places need to get on board with that 🙂 I’m a huge fan of coconut-anything so these look like my jam!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Weekend Happenings: 16 miler, Pizza Pizza, and Ready For FallMy Profile

• Reply Emily @ Sweets and Beets August 26, 2015 at 4:59 pm

These look so good, and so easy! You ladies have been stepping up the recipe and photography game lately and I love it! 🙂 Stop posting so many things for me to make 🙂 🙂

• Reply Bethany And Rachel August 26, 2015 at 10:34 pm

awww thanks so much! It definitely helps when your older sister let’s you borrow her camera 🙂

• Reply Flourless Apple Pecan Muffins October 27, 2015 at 11:46 pm