Dinner Featured Paleo Recipes Recipes Vegan Recipes

Easy Sugar-free Rosemary Pickles

July 21, 2015
pickles1

pickles-3

I miss having a garden. Actually I don’t really miss having a garden, what I miss is having readily available fruits and veggies, what I don’t miss is pulling weeds, sitting down in the soil, getting dirty and having bugs crawl up and down your arm every 5 seconds. Bugs are a no-no.

pickles2

What I do remember is coming back from vacation and seeing how bg the cucumbers got, they were huge! They were at least 3 times the size of normal cukes, but we weren’t complaining. When life gives you cucumbers, make pickles!

pickles44

This month’s Recipe Redux theme is fresh produce, since it is the month for that. I honestly like the taste of homemade pickles so much better, they taste fresh, they are so cheap and easy to make, and they don’t have an artificial yellow color! All you have to do is let these ferment for at least a day, and you’ve got naturally deliciousΒ pickles to eat.

pickles1

Recipe Redux: Rosemary Pickles

• 1 Large Cucumber, sliced (about 2 cups)
  • 3-4 pinches sea salt
  • One Bunch Rosemary
  • One bunch Dill
  • 2-3 garlic cloves crushed
  • Coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
  • Water
  • 1 large mason jar

1. Add salt in the bottom of a mason jar, add cucumber slices, top with rosemary, dill and garlic cloves
  2. Pour vinegar until 2/3 full, add water and fill to the top
  3. Let ferment for at least 1day

• Have you ever had a garden?, if so, what did you grow?
  • What do you put pickles on? Like burgers, sandwiches, etc.

[Tweet “Stop buying pickles and start making these #healthy Rosemary Pickles! “]

• Reply Elizabeth Shaw July 21, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Such a unique and creative idea! I too am not a fan of the bugs and weeds… but I think I’ve found out a way to “have your cake and eat it too” with a garden… Mr. CEO :)! It’s the perfect job for the hubby while you whip up these delish pickles… #win-win!

• Reply Dietitian Jess July 21, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Pickles are an obsession of mine- I try not to keep them in the house because I could literally eat them straight out of the jar! These sound sooo interesting and delicious!

• Reply Bethany And Rachel July 21, 2015 at 11:09 pm

they are one of my obsessions too! They are so addicting πŸ™‚

• Reply Kelly // The Pretty Bee July 21, 2015 at 12:25 pm

I love the addition of rosemary here! I make refrigerator pickles all the time but have never considered adding rosemary. Very creative!

• Reply Jennifer F July 21, 2015 at 12:34 pm

I’m really curious about those rosemary pickles! Sound great! I LOVE LOVE those spicy sweet pickles and eat them right out of the jar

• Reply Bethany And Rachel July 21, 2015 at 11:12 pm

mmmm maybe ill try to make spicy-sweet pickles next!!! πŸ˜‰

• Reply Shannon July 21, 2015 at 4:45 pm

My family is obsessed with pickles, but I have never even thought to make my own! I am going to have to try!

• Reply Dani @ DaniCaliforniaCooks July 21, 2015 at 4:52 pm

I’ve never heard of coconut vinegar! How interesting!

• Reply Deanna Segrave-Daly July 21, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Oooh love the idea of adding rosemary to pickles and am intrigued by the coconut vinegar too!

• Reply Bethany And Rachel July 21, 2015 at 11:11 pm

coconut vinegar is awesome!!! Rosemary adds a nice touch πŸ™‚

• Reply Liz July 21, 2015 at 5:49 pm

What a good idea! I love rosemary. These sound great:)

• Reply Arman @ thebigmansworld July 21, 2015 at 7:32 pm

I would marry a pickle if it were legal. ….

is it legal?

• Reply Bethany And Rachel July 21, 2015 at 11:10 pm

Even if it were illegal, I give you permission to break the law! πŸ˜€

• Reply Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine July 21, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Okay, that’s it! By this time next week I will have finally made pickles! It’s so easy!

• Reply Amy@HappyHealthyRD July 21, 2015 at 9:25 pm

I’ve never made pickles but you’re inspiring me!

• Reply Katie @ Mom to Mom Nutrition July 22, 2015 at 11:19 am

I’ve never made my own pickles but you make it sound so easy– and tasty with the addition of rosemary! I’ve also never heard of coconut vinegar. Where did you buy that?!

• Reply Bethany And Rachel July 22, 2015 at 11:33 am

I found it off of Thrive Market, but I linked it to amazon in this recipe!

• Reply Carly @ FitLiving blog July 22, 2015 at 11:55 am

This is perfect timing! Our neighbors just put a box of about 50 cucumbers from their garden for anyone to take them. They are HUGE. I had no idea cucumbers could be that large. I had no idea what I was going to do with some of them… until now! I love homemade pickles. Thanks!

• Reply Kaila @healthyhelperblog! July 22, 2015 at 11:55 am

HAVE TO TRY THESE!!! I love there is no added sugar!

• Reply Cailee July 22, 2015 at 3:14 pm

YUM! I love love LOVE pickles and enjoy a few with my salad every day! Such a yummy boost of flavor without a lot of calories or fat! I love em! …and yours look amazing! So delicious and much less processed than those that you buy in the store! πŸ™‚

• Reply lindsay July 23, 2015 at 2:30 am

did you just combine my two favorite things? yes yes you did!! UM WOW!

• Reply Joanne July 23, 2015 at 12:00 pm

I have some CSA cucumbers in the fridge just begging to be pickled!

• Reply Emanuele @ guyslovecooking July 23, 2015 at 2:14 pm

I actually would love to have a garden and get a bit dirty here and then. Saying that I also like to have this healthy DYI on my deck terrace πŸ˜‰

• Reply Megan @ Straight From The Jar July 23, 2015 at 3:20 pm

There’s nothing better than coming back from vacation and checking out how much growth happened in your garden! These look amazing πŸ™‚

• Reply Vegetarian Sloppy Joes September 7, 2015 at 9:02 am

[…] topped this sandwich with homemade sugar-free rosemary pickles from the Athletic Avocado. They are tangy and bursting with flavor making them the perfect topping for this mouthwatering […]