Breakfast Featured Recipes

Sticky Bun French Toast Rollups

December 17, 2015
Sticky bun french toast roll-ups 2

These Sticky Bun French Toast Rollups will soon become your family new favorite and special way to eat breakfast!

I vividly remember a Mother’s day a few years ago when I forgot to my Mom a gift the night before so I thought it was a great idea to make her sticky buns for the next morning at 11:30 pm. It was all going pretty well until I put them in the oven and fell asleep somehow, needless to say I woke up two hours later after I smelled something burning. My mom woke up and asked me what that smell was, at least she appreciated the effort! It took me about an hour to clean up and on Mother’s Day morning I went to the local supermarket and bought sticky buns. It’s clear that making sticky buns is not my happy memory for me, until now. Yes friends, the French Toast Rollups are back in action, and these are the best yet!

Sticky Bun French Toast Rollups are my favorite kind of French Toast Rollup, sticky bun filling rolled up in bread and then dipped in egg wash and pan-fried in a skillet, then topped with honey or rolled in cinnamon-sugar.

Now if you think that sounds and looks amazing, wait until you try it!  After one bite, you’ll never want regular french toast again.  You can thank me later!

Sticky Bun French Toast Rollups

• 6 slices of sturdy whole grain or GF bread, crusts cut off
  • Spread
  • 1/4 cup of your favorite nut butter
  • Filling
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup crushed nuts of choice (i used mixed nuts but pecans or walnuts would be great)
  • 1 tbsp coconut sugar
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • Egg Wash
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla

1. Flatten crustless bread with a roller
  2. Spread nut butter on flattened slices
  3. Combine all ingredients for filling and mix well
  4. Combine ingredients for egg wash in a separate bowl
  5. Spray a skillet with oil and place over medium heat
  6. Place a small spoonful of filling (DO NOT OVERSTUFF!!!) on each bread slice and roll up, dip in egg wash a cook in skillet, flipping to each side until golden
  7. Repeat for each rollup
  8. Let cool and roll in cinnamon sugar or top with honey, if desired

This recipe can be gluten-free and dairy-free

Pin for later!!!!These Sticky Bun French Toast Rollups will soon become your family new favorite way to eat breakfast!

More French Toast Rollups!

photo-37-5   Pumpkin-Cranberry French Toast Rollups

photo-358-2

Pumpkin-Ricotta French Toast Rollups

photo-513-2

Peanut Butter Banana French Toast Rollups

• Have you ever had french toast rollups? If not, why not!?

linking up with Laura for Strange but Good!

• Reply Nadia's Healthy Kitchen December 17, 2015 at 12:39 am

Mmm they look delicious! What a cute idea 😀 I love the story you shared about mother’s day. It was so sweet of you to make an effort, even though it didn’t go to plan. It’s the thought that counts 😉

• Reply Sam @ PancakeWarriors December 17, 2015 at 2:12 am

That filling though – oh I would be all over this! Talk about breakfast I would wake up for!

• Reply Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen December 17, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Okay, definitely had to chuckle at the baking mishap 🙂 We’ve all had our fair share! But these clearly have made up for i t! Looks inredible 🙂

• Reply Beverley @ sweaty&fit December 17, 2015 at 6:07 pm

omg! these are such a great idea! i get bored of the same breakfast over and over but i would love to try these out. and the kicker: no crusts!!

• Reply Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine December 17, 2015 at 8:59 pm

I haven’t had french toast in awhile, but o how I do love it!!

• Reply Jessica @ Nutritioulicious December 18, 2015 at 12:16 am

I have never seen these french toast roll ups and now two in one day (yours and Julie’s)! They look so delicious and great for brunch get togethers!

• Reply Chrissa - Physical Kitchness December 18, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Stop it!!! Okay these are brilliant!!!!!

• Reply Susie @ SuzLyfe December 18, 2015 at 3:15 pm

So easy and so tasty! Love the idea 😀

• Reply Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 18, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I don’t doubt you for half a second on these. That filling alone sounds divine!

• Reply Rachel December 18, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Currently just staring at these pictures and drooling. I may need to make these for lunch today!! LOVE

xx

• Reply Regina December 18, 2015 at 5:23 pm

I LOVE this idea! This would be an awesome solution for when I feel like sweet rolls (cinnamon buns etc.) but don’t want to ut on a yeast dough. Yum!

• Reply Julia @ Lord Still Loves Me December 18, 2015 at 10:19 pm

I’m not a huge fan of French toast, but these are making me change my mind. This recipe sounds SO good!! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Bethany And Rachel December 20, 2015 at 1:02 am

I hope they make you change your mind, that’s my goal! Thank you so much Julia 🙂

• Reply Kellen December 19, 2015 at 2:34 am

Nut butter on french toast, I’m in! This makes me so excited for Sunday brunch 🙂

• Reply Sonali- The Foodie Physician December 19, 2015 at 11:33 pm

These are A-MAZ-ING!!! Pinning and tweeting now but I’d rather be eating them!

• Reply Emily December 21, 2015 at 4:53 am

Oh wow, these look so yummy girls!!! And so simple. I’m thinking I should ask Mom to buy some bread tomorrow, or I should make some. What do you think? I love that God is such a good Daddy to give us so many different things to eat and remind us of our marvelous Creator!

• Reply JenniferRose | @NeuroticMommy December 21, 2015 at 11:19 pm

What an awesome idea! I can’t wait to try these!! Xx 😊

• Reply Cailee December 22, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Oh my gosh! YUM! These look amazing! What a fun recipe! Love it! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

• Reply Cassie December 28, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I have some cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread just DYING to be eaten! What a fantastic recipe!

• Reply Christie January 2, 2016 at 5:08 pm

This breakfast sounds amazing and looks fun to eat too. I am sure my daughter would love it.