Dinner Featured Recipes

Spicy Cinnamon Blackened Salmon with Pumpkin Cranberry Salsa

October 9, 2015
FullSizeRender1

This Spicy Cinnamon Blackened Salmon with Pumpkin-Cranberry Salsa is the perfect fall dinner!

Excitement cannot even describe the way I’m feeling about sharing this recipe today.  You know why?  Cause I feel like a genius and that doesn’t happen very often!

FullSizeRender-4-2

So we all know that its not a secrets that I’m a lover of all things pumpkin!  I eat that stuff even before fall (its a four season deal for me).  While I usually make sweet recipes with the golden squash, I made a u-turn with this recipe.

FullSizeRender-2-2

You see, as I was laying in bed trying to go back to sleep on Saturday trying to make myself sleep in (which didn’t work btw, I woke up at 7:30) I started to brainstorm about recipes that I could make with pumpkin.

I started having flash backs of the awesome blackened salmon dishes I had in the summer with mango salsa.  The idea struck my mind that I should make a fall-inspired salmon recipe to recreate my favorite summer dinner!  My idea was pretty successful to say the least.

FullSizeRender2-2

I’m pretty proud of myself that I came up with this recipe because its not often when I succeed by totally winging a recipe!  I thru together a spice rub and prayed that it would taste well, and thank God it did!  Cinnamon on salmon may sound weird, but I promise you its totally worth it.

The cranberry and pumpkin salsa totally makes this dish that much better!  It also may sound weird adding cubed pumpkin and cranberries to salsa, but again, its totally worth it.  This recipe sounds like a strange combo but don’t knock it till you try it!

Spicy Cinnamon Rubbed Salmon with Cranberry Pumpkin Salsa

• 4 (4-6 oz) salmon fillets
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tsp. coconut sugar or date sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • salt and pepper
  • SALSA:
  • 1 tomato, finely chopped
  • 1/4 onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, finely chopped
  • 1 cup baked pumpkin, cubed (cubed butternut squash would also work)
  • 1 Tbsp. lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Combine all spices in a shallow bowl.
  3. Coat salmon fillets evenly in spice blend and place on a cooking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until done.
  4. While salmon is cooking, Add all ingredients together for salsa.
  5. Top salmon with salsa.
  6. Enjoy!

FullSizeRender1

Linking up with Sprint to the Table for Strange but Good!

• Reply Kathleen October 9, 2015 at 12:03 pm

What an awesome recipe and great photos. That fish looks so delicious and inviting it has everything I love. Thanks for bringing spicy salmon to Fridays Blog Booster Party #27
    Kathleen
    Kathleen recently posted…The Pinterest Game #14aMy Profile

• Reply Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen October 9, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Girl you are totally a genius! That salsa sounds flippin awesome.
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Spiced Matcha Latte [dairy-free, vegan, paleo]My Profile

• Reply Lauren October 9, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Definitely intrigued by this! All flavors that I love so I don’t see why they wouldn’t work in combination…something I’ll have to try one of these days 🙂
    Lauren recently posted…Happy Hockey Season! A Few Words.My Profile

• Reply Beverley @ sweaty&fit October 9, 2015 at 1:36 pm

blackened spice is my favorite!! looks like a delicious combination of everything. love that you threw some squash into the salsa too
    Beverley @ sweaty&fit recently posted…Adidas #runmore 10K DAYLIGHT SAVINGS RaceMy Profile

• Reply Chrissa - Physical Kitchness October 9, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Oooo I am totally intrigued by this. We usually have salmon once a week, and I typically do the same thing. I can’t wait to try something new with this unique recipe!
    Chrissa – Physical Kitchness recently posted…Must-Have Kitchen Tools For Healthy Eating & Easy Meal PrepMy Profile

• Reply Bethany And Rachel October 9, 2015 at 6:26 pm

you should totally try this! such a great way to eat salmon 🙂

• Reply Christina October 9, 2015 at 2:30 pm

What a creative combo!! I love combining sweet flavors with salmon. Definitely trying this soon
    Christina recently posted…Chicken, Bean & Sweet Potato Noodle SoupMy Profile

• Reply Sarah October 9, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Oh this looks amazing! With my youngest really loving salmon right now we will take what we can get and I think this might have to be on the menu for dinner this Sunday, the only night we will be home for dinner in the next few days, with a nice glass of white wine!
    Sarah recently posted…Easy As Apple Pie Cherry Muesli BakeMy Profile

• Reply Bethany And Rachel October 9, 2015 at 6:27 pm

I’m sure your family will LOVE this! let me know how it goes 🙂

• Reply Brenda Pace October 9, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Great recipe! My husband and I are huge salsa eaters! Pinning this so I can make it!
    Brenda Pace recently posted…Trick or “Not So” Treat?My Profile

• Reply Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 9, 2015 at 4:36 pm

You might just be my fall #strangebutgood hero for this one. It looks amazing!!!
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Pumpkin Quinoa Chia Pudding [Recipe]My Profile

• Reply Alexandra @ Made to Glow October 9, 2015 at 5:35 pm

You had me at “spicy cinnamon” and then I got even more excited about the cranberry pumpkin! Sounds amazing 🙂
    Alexandra @ Made to Glow recently posted…Happy Fall, Y’all! My Favorite Fall Recipes, Style, and DecorMy Profile

• Reply Kari October 9, 2015 at 7:29 pm

Wow! What an interesting combo! Again, I love the savory dishes with pumpkin because it is so good for you and can be a filling nutrient dense food.
    Kari recently posted…Curry Pickled PeachesMy Profile

• Reply Bethany And Rachel October 10, 2015 at 4:18 am

yes! Thats why i love pumpkin other than the taste of it 🙂

• Reply Amber @ Homemade Nutrition October 9, 2015 at 7:45 pm

This recipe looks SO good! I love the different combination of spices and the salsa looks amazing. Can’t wait to try this!!
    Amber @ Homemade Nutrition recently posted…Roasted Garlic-Thyme Root VegetablesMy Profile

• Reply Bethany And Rachel October 10, 2015 at 4:18 am

thank you! the combo might sound strange, but its to-die-for!

• Reply Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine October 9, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Hello delicious dinner! When we go salmon we go all out!
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Friday Finisher 10/9/15My Profile

• Reply Farrah October 11, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Pumpkin cranberry salsa sounds amazing–so perfect for fall! (+ I love and adore salmon, so this is a total win in my book!)
    Farrah recently posted…Chocolate Hemp Cherry-Berry SmoothieMy Profile

• Reply Marla October 12, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Hi Bethany & Rachel,
    I love salmon and adding the cranberries sounds absolutely delicious. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted.
    Marla recently posted…“6 Plus Green Solutions for Pest Prevention in Your Home!”My Profile

• Reply 21 Healthy Salmon Recipes October 23, 2015 at 12:00 pm

[…] Spicy Cinnamon Blackened Salmon with Cranberry Pumpkin Salsa from Athletic Avocado […]

• Reply Paleo Meal Plan Monday - Week of January 25th January 24, 2016 at 9:01 pm

[…] Spicy Cinnamon Blackened Salmon – The salsa on this one looks amazing.  I think I’ll serve it with some leftover roasted veggies! […]