Peanut Butter & Jelly Chickpea Coffee Cake combines the classic flavor combo and is a healthy breakfast or brunch treat made flourless with chickpeas! So easy-to-make with REAL ingredients! Also vegan and gluten-free!
I used to think that coffee cake had actual coffee in it when I was younger. Embarrassing, I know.
It’s funny because I am obsessed with coffee now but I used to HATE coffee until I was about 15 years of age. So I never wanted to try coffee cake ever because I despised coffee and little did I know that coffee cake gets it’s name because your supposed to eat it with coffee, not because of coffee in it. Well friends, I can say now that I’m a bit wiser than I was in my younger years because A., I know that coffee cake does not have coffee in it, and B., I actually like coffee now!
Anyways, I think we can all agree that coffee cake is pretty much the most perfect breakfast/brunch treat. How could you not want cake for your first meal, especially when it has a CRUMB TOPPING!? #canigetanamen?
Now let’s talk about this unique and delicious coffee cake. First off, it’s peanut butter and jelly flavored which brings me back to my childhood and I’m sure it will bring you back too. And second of all, it’s made with…….drumroll please…. CHICKPEAS! Yes, that might sound weird to you, but I promise that chickpeas are amazing to bake with and have amazing nutritional value.
Chickpeas are a member of the pulse family, along with lentils, beans and dry peas which contain double the amount of protein of quinoa and double the iron in a serving of chicken. Pulses are sustainable and affordable food choice that can be made in a variety of ways from baked goods to pasta to burgers! We were so happy when the nonprofit councils of growers of pulses in the US and Canada reached out to us to create a recipe using pulses, so we are excited to present you this epic coffee cake using chickpeas.
I promise you that this coffee cake DOES NOT taste like chickpeas and does not contain coffee, but it does taste good along side a nice big cuppa. The Chickpeas act as a base and binder for this cake and also add to the nutritional value. This Peanut Butter & Jelly Coffee Cake is:
Peanut Butter & Jelly Chickpea Coffee Cake
This coffee cake is extremely easy to make and only contains a few ingredients. You would never guess that it’s completely flourless and is made with chickpeas. It has the classic flavor of peanut butter and jelly that kids and adults-alike will adore. This coffee cake makes the perfect healthy brunch or breakfast treat. Also vegan and gluten-free friendly!
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4-1/2 cup maple syrup (depending on your sweet-o-meter)
- 1/2 cup jelly of choice ( I used homemade chia jelly)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries/berries of choice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place a 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray. Combine oats and baking powder in a food processor, pulse until flour-like then add to a large bowl. Add chickpeas, peanut butter and maple syrup to food processor and pulse until a dough ball forms, add to oat mixture. spread mixture in pan and top with jelly and berries. Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over filling. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until done.
Like This Recipe? Pin For Later!
You May Also Like These Recipes!
Are you interested in adding more pulses into your diet? Join me in taking the Pulse Pledge, where you’ll receive free recipe newsletters, a chance to win prizes and more!
“This post is sponsored by the non-profit councils of pulse growers in the U.S and Canada, all thoughts and opinions are my own. #pulsepledge.”
Questions of the day!
- What’s your favorite breakfast treat?
- Have you ever baked with chickpeas?