Looking for an easy grilling recipe that uses refreshing summer produce? Check out these Lemony Cucumber Mint Pesto Chicken Kebabs! Also paleo and whole-30 approved!
To be quite honest with you, this recipe was almost a disaster. Actually, not even the recipe part, that was a piece of cake. It was everything else that went wrong. At first, everything was going well. I put the kebabs on the grill and set up an area on my picnic table out to take the pics because the lighting was perf👌.
But thennnnnnn, a huge gusp of wind and a dark cloud appeared just as I was about to take pictures and blew away most of my picture props. As I was trying to put them all back on the table, I realized that the grill was up way too high, so I went to lower it. Then my shirt almost caught on fire and I burnt my finger, then the props blew away again. I had a little two year old temper tantrum and didn’t think these picture would happen. But then by the grace of God, the wind stopped for a few minutes and my props stayed on the table and it became sunny again. Hallelujah!🙌
Besides that horror story, I also feel the need to mention that this is my second time ever grilling, and now I feel like a pro💁 (first was this pineapple chicken buddha bowl).
Eating grilled food makes me happy. Maybe because it tastes better than baked food, or maybe because it reminds me of summer. No matter the reason, grilling creates a fresh flavor that no other cooking technique can mimic. Just don’t burn your food🙅
Since summer brings the abundance of fresh produce, there is all the more reason for me to make recipes that highlight this freshness. So what exactly did I experiment with in this recipe? All the most refreshing produce that you can find right now (besides watermelon); Cucumbers, lemon and mint. There is nothing more refreshing that that trio of flavors, am I right?
Lemony Cucumber Mint Pesto Chicken Kebabs
Just imagine chicken marinated in a refreshing lemony cucumber mint pesto and then perfectly cooked on the grill with fresh summer veggies. It’s pretty much summer’s perfect meal. If I, the grill amateur can make it with ease, you’ll have no problem!
- 4 large chicken breasts (about 6 oz. each), cut into 1 in cubes
- 2 large zucchini, cut into thick slices
- 1 large onion, cut into large slices
- Lemon Cucumber Mint Pesto
- 1 large cucumber, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp. walnuts or pine nuts
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper
- about 10 metal skewers
- Place grated cucumber in a dish towel or paper towel and drain excess water.
- To make pesto, add grated cucumber and mint. Blend until combined. Add remaining ingredients for pesto and blend until a smooth sauce forms.
- Place cubed chicken in a large ziploc bag or a large bowl and add pesto to marinate.
- Let chicken marinate in pesto for at least one hour (I let it marinate for 2 hours).
- Once ready to cook,heat your grill to medium-high. Thread onto skewers with the marinated chicken pieces, alternating the chicken with the vegetables (makes about 10 skewers).
- Lightly oil the grill, then place the kabobs on the grill, cover, and let cook until the chicken is fully cooked and no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning the chicken once or twice throughout so that it cooks evenly.
Like This Recipe? Pin For Later!
You May Also Like These Recipes!
Questions of the day!
Are you a grilling master?
What is your favorite summer produce?
Linking up for Foodie Fridays!