The Perfect Light and healthy dessert with a Flaky meringue crust and
This month’s Recipe Redux theme was to make a pie, I love pie but, I am not a huge fan of pie crust, I’d much rather eat the filling of a pie and avoid the crust than eat it all together. One thing I do like is meringue cookies, so why not make that a crust for pie?
My Dad’s Favorite pie is strawberry-rhubarb, so for Father’s day, I wanted to make him something special that he would love! We had an abundance of fresh peaches and rhubarb, but not strawberries! So we combined them for a delicious healthy dessert! I think the the combo of peaches and rhubarb is so much better than strawberries and rhubarb!
This recipe is Gluten free, paleo, refined sugar free, and downright delicious!
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cups sliced and peeled peaches
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- Place egg whites in a mixing bowl and beat until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Add sugar one tablespoon at a time while egg whites are beating, making sure each Tbsp. of sugar is dissolved before adding the next. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue into a circle on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until done (depending on oven).
- For compote, add ingredients in a saucepan on medium-low heat. Let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Let cool.
- Spread compote on top of meringue and serve immediately, if not serving right away, add compote on top until ready to serve
- What’s your favorite kind of pie?
- Do you like crust or nah?