So today my goal was to make coconut tortillas, but that FAILED. It was my first time working with coconut flour so I didn’t really know how the texture was. It is super-fine, so the tortilla dough was all crumbly. That was clearly not going to work so I put my thinking cap on and came up with these babies. They say when one door closes another door opens! And I think this is even better than what I originally wanted to make!
Vegan Chocolate-Strawberry and Hazelnut Tarts with Coconut Crust
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts (without skin)
- 1/4 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 coconut flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 Tbsp. egg whites, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp. honey
- To make the crust, place all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix until it resembles a dough (will be crumbly).
- Spray five ramekins with cooking spray and press dough to bottom.
- Bake the crusts at 350 °F for about 25 minutes, or until slightly brown.
- While crusts are baking, add remaining ingredients to a food processor and mix until mixture is a smooth puree.
- Let the crusts cool for about 15 minutes before topping them with chocolate-strawberry and hazelnut puree.
- Add sliced strawberries, shredded coconut, cocoa nibs for toppings, if desired.
- no-added sugar
- dairy free
- Healthy fats
- Antioxidants, vitamins and minerals!
Have YOU ever had a failing recipe that lead to a success??