Breakfast Featured Paleo Recipes Recipes Vegan Recipes

Roasted Banana Split Breakfast Bowl

February 28, 2016
Take your breakfast to a whole new level with this healthy and delicious Roasted Banana Split Breakfast Bowl! Can be vegan and paleo friendly!

Take your breakfast to a whole new level with this healthy and delicious dessert-like Roasted Banana Split Breakfast Bowl! Can be vegan and paleo friendly!

You know what I just realized?  My most popular recipes are the ones that are the simplest to make!  Yea, that means I really don’t have to slave in the kitchen to make a masterpiece.  Sometimes my mind is swirling around with 57,000 recipe ideas with over-complicated flavor combos and instructions.  But guess what?  None of those recipes that I sometimes think that are a good idea never even make it on the blog.

Like how stupid am I to just realize this now?  No common sense my friends.  The recipe for success is making a simple recipe that a take on a popular dish with a unique twist.  Hence this Roasted Banana Split Breakfast Bowl.

Bowls are all the rage right now, and greek yogurt bowls are dominating the breakfast competition.  This meant two things; I must make a greek yogurt bowl thats simple and I must include a flavor combo that is oh so popular.  Everybody is crazy for banana split, I mean its the country’s signature dessert!  Let me tell ya a little secret about the strawbs and bananas; y’all gotta roast them.  Roasting them makes them sweet and untouchable.

And those walnuts, they taste like the nuts you get at a fair.  You know, the roasted and cinnamon and sugary coated ones?  Only they are chai-spiced and made with coconut sugar.  And lets not forget about the chocolate.  The chunks are UNREAL!  You have to do the chunks, so much better than the chips!  Basically Im saying you need to make the breakfast bowl!  Its gluten-free, grain-free, can be dairy-free, vegan and paleo friendly!  Oh and kid friendly 😉

Roasted Banana Split Breakfast Bowl

• 2 cups plain greek/coconut yogurt
  • 1 banana, sliced in half
  • 1/2 cup strawberries (tops cut off)
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • 2 tsp. coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tsp. coconut sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1.4 tsp. cardamom
  • 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
  • Chopped dark chocolate

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place strawberries and bananas on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes.
  3. Combine walnuts with coconut oil. Add coconut sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg. Mix well and place on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes, or until nuts are toasted.
  4. To assemble yogurt bowls, add 1 cup yogurt to each bowl. Top each with half slice of banana and half of strawberries. Add walnuts and dark chocolate.
  5. Enjoy!

[Tweet ” #healthy Banana Split Breakfast Bowl! Heck YASS!”]

Like this recipe? Pin for Later!

Looking for more Yogurt Bowl recipes?  Check out these beauties!

AZB1-6-2

Cinnamon Apple Noodle Breakfast Bowl

Creme-Brulee-5-2

Apple Pie Yogurt Brûlée

• What’s your favorite kind of breakfast bowl?

linking up for Strange but Good and Foodie Friday!

• Reply Hilary February 28, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Yum! I love banana splits, like you said might be one of my favorite desserts, and this makes them so much better!

• Reply Emma {Emma's Little Kitchen} February 28, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Hahaha. I’m with you! My most popular recipes are ALWAYS the most simple. So simple, I almost consider them not blogworthy. This looks like such a treat!

• Reply Jessica @ Jessica in the Kitchen February 28, 2016 at 11:37 pm

Yum! Totally love this breakfast bowl. Roasted banana is amazing!

• Reply Arman @ thebigmansworld February 29, 2016 at 10:13 am

I think plates are feeling offended now that bowls are the rage.

I had a bowl haircut growing up…is THAT the rage too?

Anyway, roasted banana just takes it to the next level here- I would totally sneak in some spiralized apples too. 2 point bonus 😉

• Reply Bethany And Rachel February 29, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Plates are overrated haha. Oh my gosh no you didn’t!!! Lol I wish I could see a picture haha. Spiraled apples would be a great addition, what a fricken’ awesome idea! Yay, now I can be the first person to get a 12 (in the old scoring system haha) 🙂

• Reply Beverley @ BORNTOSWEAT February 29, 2016 at 11:20 am

those walnuts sound sooo good!! and YES breakfast bowls are everything! I wish i was a bigger fan of bananas, but strawberries alone would be delicious on this

• Reply Bethany And Rachel February 29, 2016 at 2:18 pm

they are amazing! Just having strawberries would be amazing too 🙂

• Reply Kaila@HealthyHelperBlog February 29, 2016 at 11:31 am

When I saw this on your IG the other day, I knew I would LOVE this recipe. I was right!! What a great idea to roast the fruit in the oven! I bet that makes it all carmelized and extra sweet. SO GOOD. Dessert for breakfast is definitely okay with me!

• Reply Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine February 29, 2016 at 4:13 pm

How I wish the complicated recipes would be the most popular 😛 Those are the FUN ones to cook!

• Reply Cailee February 29, 2016 at 4:21 pm

I’m a simple recipe lover! I’m not the best cook… but I can cook the basics ya know?? This looks perfect btw! I love the bright and beautiful fruit!! Also, yay for those walnuts!! They sound perfect!!

• Reply sarah February 29, 2016 at 4:36 pm

This looks so good!

• Reply Natalie | Feasting on Fruit February 29, 2016 at 5:14 pm

You are a decadent dessert-for-breakfast making genius! This looks roasty and toasty and so tasty! Simple always wins for sure 🙂

• Reply Cora February 29, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Oh me god I’m dyyyyinnggg. This looks like everything and more. I just need strawberries to come back onto the shelves and then I’m totally digging into this.

• Reply Min February 29, 2016 at 7:48 pm

what a fun and delicious way to enjoy one of my fav desserts!! Yogurt bowls are soo in right now, and I can’t get enough!! Will try this soon 😉

• Reply Chelsea LeBlanc February 29, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Mouth watering!! Oh my gosh yum!!

• Reply Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen February 29, 2016 at 10:50 pm

Loving everything about this! I made a similar recipe like this for my kids class at work.

• Reply Sam @ PancakeWarriors February 29, 2016 at 10:53 pm

I’m all about the simple recipes and this sounds so awesome. I have never thought to roast bananas, what a perfect treat, I have to try this soon. I just bought a ton of strawberries, I think this will be the perfect spring treat!

• Reply GiGi Eats March 1, 2016 at 1:39 pm

There is something about roasting fruits and vegetables – it’s just so. SO. SO. GOOD! 😀

• Reply Linda | The Baker Who Kerns March 1, 2016 at 9:57 pm

So true that usually the most simplest recipes are the best mostly because they have whole and healthy ingredients and nothing else! I am loving this breakfast bowl! And those chocolate chunks, YUMM so much better than chips, I definitely would want this for breakfast!

• Reply Denise @ Sweet Peas & Saffron March 1, 2016 at 10:44 pm

That’s so true for me too! My most popular recipe is a chicken stew recipe, which I almost didn’t post because I thought it was boring 😛 These breakfast bowls look delicious! Love how much flavor you get from roasting fruit!

• Reply Brie March 2, 2016 at 9:18 am

I love your apple noodle breakfast bowl but I think this is gonna be my new favorite! Roasted bananas and strawberries, swoon 🙂

• Reply Annie March 2, 2016 at 10:04 am

Okay this is amazing! I really love roasted bananas, they have so much flavor! I can’t wait to make this!

• Reply Emily March 2, 2016 at 4:19 pm

This looks really yummy. 🙂 I love how you titled it.

• Reply smiling notes March 2, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Yum! This looks amazing! Going to give it a try. Pinned! 🙂

• Reply bhumika March 3, 2016 at 8:47 am

Delicious…i love bananas…anything for me…

• Reply Jenn - a traveling Wife March 3, 2016 at 10:11 am

Say what?! Banana splits were a favorite of mine growing up.

• Reply Cayanne Marcus @healthyezsweet March 3, 2016 at 3:35 pm

What an awesome way to give your breakfasts a fancy and cozy boost! I always put strawberries and banana in my bowls, but never thought to roast it up. Thanks for the inspo 🙂

• Reply Elaine @ Flavour and Savour March 3, 2016 at 5:27 pm

You’re so right about roasting strawberries. I couldn’t believe what a difference it made!

• Reply Cassie Autumn Tran March 3, 2016 at 7:21 pm

OMG, this recipe looks fantastic! Bananas and strawberries all the way!

• Reply Annmarie March 4, 2016 at 8:32 am

Gosh this makes me wish I could eat bananas!!!

• Reply Michelle March 4, 2016 at 9:07 am

Oh, the husband will love this one! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Friday Link Lovin' [#8] - Fit Mitten Kitchen March 4, 2016 at 9:22 am

[…] Roasted Banana Split Breakfast Bowl >> Athletic Avocado is making us dessert for breakfast (per the usual) 😉 […]

• Reply Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 4, 2016 at 10:36 am

I love doing crazy stuff, but when it comes down to it… there’s just something about simple comforts. Especially when it involves a banana split!!!

• Reply Sarah March 4, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Heck yaaas is right, this looks and sounds amazing!

• Reply Marla March 4, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Hi Bethany & Nicole.
    This looks absolutely delicious and the ingredients is filled with a wealth of health. You doesn’t love strawberries and bananas. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted!

• Reply Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats March 4, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Easy is totally the way to go! I’ve never had a roasted banana and I think I need to change that!

• Reply Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 8, 2016 at 6:13 pm

This looks so good! It’s amazing what just cooking a banana can do to take your breakfast to the next level!

• Reply Marla March 9, 2016 at 3:37 pm

HI Bethany & Rachel,
    Just a note to let you know that I have chosen your post as one of my features for this weeks Real Food Fridays blog hop that goes live every Thursday @ 7pm EST. Thank you for being part of Real Food Fridays and sharing your information.

• Reply Lori R. March 10, 2016 at 12:50 pm

This sounds so good! I love that fruits are roasted! Such a great idea.

• Reply Sabrina @ FitCoffeeMom March 10, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Mmm chocolate for breakfast sounds like a plan!

• Reply Real Food Friday #130 – Fueling The Body With Health March 10, 2016 at 7:03 pm

[…] Nicole & Rachel @ Athletic Avocado — Roasted Banana Split Breakfast Bowl  […]

• Reply demeter | beaming baker March 12, 2016 at 7:11 am

Oh, I sooooo agree with you that the sometimes the simplest recipes are the most popular for the blog–but it’s kind of confounding, isn’t it? You would think, the more effort you put into it, the more success it should reap, right? Apparently that’s wrong… Haha. Meanwhile, I love that you roasted the banana for this breakfast bowl. Roasted bananas are the best! 🙂 Great recipe!

• Reply 10 Healthy Vegetarian Breakfast Recipes - I Heart Vegetables April 1, 2016 at 7:00 am

[…] love when my breakfast tastes like dessert, so I’m a huge fan of this banana split breakfast bowl from Athletic Avocado Don’t worry, it’s still […]

• Reply Joyce @ The Hungry Caterpillar April 6, 2016 at 12:42 am

I had a banana split for the first time in a long time yesterday! Yum! Thank goodness for lactose-free ice cream–and lactose-free yogurt! I love the idea of making it a breakfast treat!