Nothing goes better with a giant cup of tea or coffee then scones! You guys already know that I’m talking about the healthy homemade ones, nut the store bought stuff. I’ve only made scones one other time and they turned out Bomb (click HERE for the recipe)!
It was time to come up with another flavor using the same base as the other one I created. I’ve been meaning to make a recipe with the tahini I received from Swanson’s, and what better way then to add it into the scones! It helps to moisten the batter while lending to a toasty nutty flavor.
I also figured out that orange would help compensate the nutty savory flavor because I’ve tasted orange sesame chicken before at a Chinese restaurant. These scones are super duper easy and only require of few minutes of prep time before their in the oven. Full of heart healthy ingredients, there is no reason not to make them!
Orange Sesame Scones Makes 6-8 scones
- 2 cups Gluten-free Rolled Oats
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 1 egg, beaten (or flax egg)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl combine first 7 ingredients. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients excluding the sesame seeds. Mix well and add to other bowl. Combine well, scraping bowl to ensure all ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Spoon batter a larger even circle onto a cooking sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle remaining sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes and partially slice into 8 equal slices.
- Bake for another 15 minutes or until done.
- Contains healthy fats
- Good source of fiber
- It’s rich in minerals such as phosphorus, lecithin, magnesium, potassium and iron
- It’s high in vitamin E and vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B15
Recipe as a whole:
- All-natural ingredients
- No artificial ingredients
- No preservatives
- No processed ingredients
- High in fiber
- Good source of healthy fats
- Vegan -friendly
*”This post contains Affiliate Links through Amazon Affiliates Program”